SM64 Paint
I downloaded SM64 Paint a while back and I just now got around to using it. I figured out a couple things and, correct me if I'm wrong, figured out how to use vertex colors on UN-softened surfaces? I think it will only work on one that are un-softened. I want to be able to make it so then textures fade into each other. I know it's possible because I've seen it done in ROMs before, and they have said they did it with SM64 Paint. Please help.
-Working on "Super Mario 64 Star Odyssey" and miniature ROM hacks with Loz Oot worlds.
what is a softened surface?
On Sketchup ( and maybe other 3D modeling programs) there is an option to soften the faces. This will make it so then it is shaded smoothly instead of each face being shaded separately.
-Working on "Super Mario 64 Star Odyssey" and miniature ROM hacks with Loz Oot worlds.
but thats not how it works in sm64 so how is that got to do anything with sm64 paint
In SM64 there are parts that are softened. Some parts of the floor inside the pyramid are softened.
i think every single model in sm64 uses G_SHADE_SMOOTH so i dont see how that would differ from anything not smoothed in sm64paint being a f3d vertex normal/color editing program
Okay this could go on forever and I don't want this to go off-topic. I'd just like to know how to make textures fade into each other.
duplicate the face you want to fade into, in one of the copies with the first and in the other with the second texture, then put alpha only mode in sm64paint, paint some 0 alpha on either the top or bottom 2 (or 3 because of no vert optimization) verts of the fave thats in front, then enable XLU_SURF render mode (some sm64 layer had this enabled but i cant remember which) and you should be good to go
How do you enable XLU_SURF render mode?
> (some sm64 layer had this enabled but i cant remember which)

just experiment, its either layer 4 or layer 5
Okay.
I found a way I can get textures to fade properly, but I can't figure out how to make textures fade into alpha like in TotWC. Does anyone know how?
its because you dont have xlu mode enabled lol
Even if I were to enable XLU_SURF, how would I add the alpha? Would I click on "Alpha Only Mode", or make it so then RGB is 0 and A is 255?
wtf, if you are on alpha only mode RGB are XYZ normals, please dont touch that if you dont know what you are doing, just change A to the alpha value you need
If I change the alpha value that only makes it only changes the transparency in the color I chose.
if you are using alpha only mode you arent supposed to be using vertex color tho????
what if you stop trying to diss each other and just simply tell how sm64/n64 graphics works and what his options are.
That's what I thought. I thought that if I selected it, it wouldn't use the colors, but it just does nothing. I right-click on a face and it makes no difference.
it does make a difference, just that trent is lazy so he didnt add it in the visual output, if you save the rom and boot it in an emu it will have the alpha