SM64 Fast3D Anti-Aliasing Reducer
(12-07-2019, 05:56 AM)triclon Wrote: Quick question, is this different from the "disable AA" gameshark codes?  I know those also improve performance so if this is different, yo could combine both for an ultra-high FPS experience.

I know people use the gameshark code to make the game look "better" by removing the AA, but I haven't seen any proof that it improves performance. As far as I know, most of the lag comes from the calculations on the RDP. 

I haven't actually tested the gameshark code myself, but both methods are different. The gameshark code disables the anti-aliasing from the Video Interface (VI), whereas this tool disables the IM_RD flag which is used by the blender in the RDP.

From the N64 programming manual:

Quote:In the blender, the pixel color and the last value stored for the pixel in memory are combined. The blender also combines the pixel coverage and memory coverage and does z-buffering. The blender typically performs operations such as antialiasing the interior edges of objects and transparency. The new pixel’s color, coverage, and Z are stored in the frame buffer. The Video Interface (VI) reads the pixel color and coverage and antialiases the silhouettes of objects.

I would guess that having the gameshark code plus this tool would be the same as disabling anti-aliasing entirely. Which only gives you an extra 1-2 FPS over the reduced version. It wouldn't magically give you "ultra-high" FPS, unfortunately.

I wouldn't call myself an RDP expert, so I could be wrong. If I am, please leave a reply and I'll make a correction to this post.

Messages In This Thread
SM64 Fast3D Anti-Aliasing Reducer - by David - 09-13-2019, 03:12 AM
RE: SM64 Fast3D Anti-Aliasing Reducer - by David - 12-08-2019, 08:07 PM
RE: SM64 Fast3D Anti-Aliasing Reducer - by David - 12-14-2019, 06:21 PM
RE: SM64 Fast3D Anti-Aliasing Reducer - by David - 12-15-2019, 11:21 AM